6.23.2009

Just Bee


Every St. Patrick's Day since 1989 I took a special moment to observe the day Susie left. Her mom calls it "transitioning" which is beautiful. "Left" is how it felt at the time and "died" is the word I use now. The finality of the word "died" does not frighten me any more so it is the one I choose. If you knew Susie, it would not frighten you anymore either.

I usually find some way to send a note to a friend, find a place to be alone or even drink green beer in her honor. That is until this year. Somehow March flew by like the wind, April a blur and May, well who knows. It was only this day, that I realized that March came and went without any observance on my part whatsoever.

Susie is laughing. And reminding me again. And teaching me again. And doing all those things she did while here that made me crazy, and mad and happy all at the same time.

So Suze, it is on this day that I vow to slow down. Choose to be. Have time to remember my friend. Thank you again for the reminder. I needed it.

Green beer anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment