7.11.2009

Bee Splotchy

A friend of mine recently commented that I wear a lot of black. I think she was trying to tell me to add some color in a round about way. I went back to my closet to take inventory and indeed she was right. I wear a lot of black.

My clothes just don't start out that way.

There is my favorite Banana tee that was worn so many times that any more bleach or bluing would render it a tattered mess. Just a bit of Rit Dye Black and voilá, the new black Banana tee formerly known as the white Banana tee was born.

There are my best, softest bamboo yoga pants. They are my favorite thing to wear except for my favorite jeans which are older than my first born but that’s not the point. The point is, I LOVE them. Unfortunately, I spilled bleach on their cobweb greyness one day and they then looked tie dyed in all the wrong places and one of the splotches looked like Jesus which I found distracting and well, you get the idea.

Again, Rit Dye Black.

As I looked through my closet I noticed all the clothes that had once been a color other than black. In my mind’s eye I still saw them as their original color but in reality the Rit Dye Black now covered up all the living, blemishes and splotches they once held.

Covering up splotches is what we do. It’s natural. It’s human. And, when it comes to favorite clothes, it’s recessionista chic.

Our lives are very much the same. We look for the Rit Dye Black to cover up all the messes, heartaches, grief, shame and just plain living that we do. This is not a bad thing. It works and we can go on a little less splotchy.

But…
it does make it harder to see our own original color or that of those around us. We often miss the Passion Red or Honorable Purple or True Blue or Sunshine Yellow.

Yep, there’s a lot of Rit Dye Black around and it’s not a bad thing- as long as we remember to see the color too.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

  1. Kathy, I am cracking up! You are a funny girl. Do you know I have a container of Rit Dye Black in my laundry cabinet.... yes, I do. Hum, we are more alike than I knew... you savvy little dye-aholic. It is called Recession Proofing Your Laundry Room. You should write a book about it or maybe Oprah will do a show on it?

    Cute blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just re-read this. And, posted about it on my blog as a matter of fact.

    http://fourcrazychildren.blogspot.com/2010/02/knowing-what-you-love.html

    Laughing as hard this time as I did the first time I read it.

    I do have one question. I will lose sleep if I do not ask.

    The yoga pants... did you call the news stations and let them know you saw Jesus on your yoga pants? Seriously!

    Thanks for reminding me to keep searching for my true original color in this messy life of Mommyness. (And I don't mean my original hair color!)

    New post please- It's been too long.

    ReplyDelete